downloads  |  faq


Let us know how we can help you. We can call you:

Call me back

Or you can call us directly:
T +31 24 366 69 50

Download button eBook

Working in more than one country

Employees in border areas frequently work in more than one country. In addition to the question where you will pay income tax, you should also ask questions such as: What happens if I get sick or become disabled, and how about my pension?

Income tax is based on the three principles of temporary work: Which company pays me, what is the duration of the project and how many days will I reside in the project country? This determines in which country you will pay income tax.

Regulations within the EU

Outside the EU

Bol International has extensive experience in cross-border labour, and is happy to assist you.


Are the national regulations of the country of residence relevant?

Determining whether or not someone is classed as an employee or a contractor according to the European Directive’s rules is based on the national rules of the country where the work takes place.

This can be so complex that the social security bodies of the countries of work and residence have to consult in order to determine the social security status.

Is it possible to be insured in more than one country?

In principle, this is not possible within the EU. However, if a person is also working outside the EU in a country with which the country of residence does not have a treaty, the employee may be liable for social insurance in more than one country.

Can temporary employees remain insured in the country of origin?

In principle, this is possible for a maximum period of 2 years. This is subject to certain conditions however, for example, the employee may not be stationed abroad to replace someone.